Welcome to Switzerland

Things are moving in our temporary flat. Some of them are heading into boxes, others towards the bin or the recycling. Home, however temporary it was/is, just doesn’t look the same any more…

IMG_0312

So for a change I thought I’d do a post with photos of Switzerland, or at least my own corner of the place. And I mean corner, we’re at the very top right-hand edge, bang on the border to Germany and so close to Austria that my kids go clubbing there and come home in a taxi.

lake-constance-52512_1280First up – a section of our beautiful Lake Constance with the Alpstein range in the background. Highest peak Säntis, our local mountain. I’ve been on the summit several times (via cablecar!) – the view is spectacular.

lake-constance-300059_1920Here’s the same view from further down the lake, this time with two of the car ferries which cross from Romanshorn to Friedrichshafen (home of the Zeppelin) in Germany.zeppelin-455349_1280 You can take a ride in a Zeppelin in summer – expensive, but again, incredible views!

old-town-233687_1280

Our nearest large town is St Gallen, named after Gallus, an Irish monk who founded the abbey there in the seventh century. Below is the cathedral, on the same site today.

architecture-83482_1920

castle

And of course there’s Arbon, our home town. Here’s the castle, where I teach English. The tower dates from the 1200s, and there are amazing views up to the Säntis on one side and out across the lake on the other. Best workplace ever.

truss-299626_1280To finish off with, a typical old house from our region, Thurgau. Ours is the ‘fruit’ area of Switzerland, with dozens of fruit farms and thousands of apple and pear trees. And it won’t be long before they’re all in bloom again – pictures for another post, perhaps!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Welcome to Switzerland

1. Tina Death says:

Lovely blog Linda, what a fantastic place to work and be inspired. Only a little bit jealous.

2. Linda, thanks for sharing. This time around there was simply no time for a visit–family get-togethers and of course the holidays. But next time!

3. Georgia Rose says:

Hope the move goes well Linda. Love the photos you’ve used here particularly of your workplace which looks really unusual 🙂

• lindahuber says:

Thanks Georgia – it’s a brilliant place to work. So atmospheric. My own move isn’t till end March, but nr.1 son is moving into his new student flat now and taking my bookshelves with him. I’ll get lovely new ones for the new flat. So it’s the beginning of the end of the temporary flat!

4. Jools says:

What a lovely set of pictures. Thanks for sharing them. You live in a very beautiful corner… of Switzerland, of the world.

5. jenanita01 says:

Thank you for this unexpected trip, Linda, Switzerland looks wonderful. More than a little jealous!

6. Norah says:

Riding in a Zeppelin! That would be a treat!

• lindahuber says:

I’ve never actually been, Norah – it’s not cheap and I don’t enjoy heights. But everyone says the views are fantastic. Sometimes they cross to our side of the lake and it’s almost surreal when they fly overhead – so low, and such an odd whirring noise – like something from a sci-fi movie!

Liked by 1 person

• Norah says:

It sounds amazing. I didn’t know that there were any modern editions of the Zeppelin, so find this fascinating. I don’t know if I would be brave enough to go on a flight, but I would love to. Like a flight in a hot air balloon. These are things I wish my fear wouldn’t keep me from. I did go in a glider once many years ago and it was an amazing experience. I love being in a plane looking down on the world, like a bird; but haven’t had a flight yet in either a small aircraft or a helicopter. Maybe one day I’ll take the uplift (almost wrote ‘plunge’ – that would not have been good!) 🙂

• lindahuber says:

It seems to be similar to a flight in a hot air balloon, although the Zeppelins don’t go as high as balloons can. I don’t think I’d enjoy it either – I like my feet firmly on the ground! But it’s marvellous to watch them flying over. And yes, please don’t take the plunge!! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. TanGental says:

Found you Linda. Following Norah’s footsteps, too, not for the first time. Like her I had not idea about Zepplins. I’d love to have a go. Anyway thank you for the follow

• lindahuber says:

Thank you too! Norah and I are old Twitter-buddies 🙂 Yes, Zeppelins always seem very WW2-ish, but they’re alive and well in this corner of the globe, in a very touristy way. We see them almost every day from spring to autumn, and occasionally in winter too.

Liked by 1 person